A quick guide to surfing in NYC
Craving beaches and some high tides? Lucky for you, you won’t have to go too far this summer.
We know what you’re thinking. Surfing? In New York City? While Queens may not have the same beach vibe as Hawaii or Florida, we know a place where you can catch some waves.
The ultimate place to head to is Rockaway Beach, the only legal surf beaches in all five boroughs.
To get to the Rockaways, take the A train which will take you to Rockaway Beach at 67th Street or by switching to the Shuttle at Broad Channel to 97th and 116th Streets. The coastline stretches from 9th to 149th streets while the surf spots are located between 68-71 street, 87-92nd street and 110-111 street. Not only is the beach a great hub for surfing; the beach has a variety of outdoor activities, eateries, and a boardwalk which is liveliest during the summertime.
If you need to borrow or buy wetsuits and surfboards, there are numerous places to check out.
Take a Lesson:
- Skudin Surf - Our official festival partner since 2014 we've loved taking group lessons and even full day camps with Skudin.
- Locals Surf School - Definitely the hippest place to take a class, the owners Mike & Mike will teach you to surf, have a bunch of fun on the waves, and probably join you in the bar afterwards.
- New York Surf School - a Rockaway Beach mainstay, this surf school is a classic. So classic in fact, you'll have to actually call to make a reservation.
- Boarders Surf Shop is located at 192 Beach 92nd Street, right by Rockaway Beach. They’re open Wednesday to Sunday from 9am to 6pm. You can rent and buy surfboards, wetsuits, and stand up paddleboards and store your items in a private locker. Surfboard rental pricing is $35 for 4 hours and $50 for full day. Wetsuits are $10 a day and $5 if you rent a board as well. As for paddleboards, it’s $50 for 4 hours and $90 for the full day. Boarders also provides surfing lessons. The best way to book is by calling instructor Frank at 718-496-3371.
- Breakwater Surf is arguably the easiest place to get to, as it's literally underneath the subway platform at 67th Street. Head there for board and wetsuit rentals all year long.
- Station RBNY is one of the newer stores in the Rockwaways. It is located at 92nd Street and offers SUP & surf rentals, lessons and lockers. Rental surfboards start at $10/hr (and $40 for the day) while SUP boards are $20an hour and $55 for the day. For those looking for a different type of wave experience, rent one of their body boards.
- Rockaway Beach Surf Shop is located at 177 Beach 116th Street also by Rockaway Beach. It’s open from Monday to Saturday, 10am to 6pm. You can buy many brand name surfboards. You can always send them a message to ask if they supply a specific surfboard you want. Check out http://rockawaybeachsurfshop.net/surfboards.html. Prices start at $299. The shop also supplies wetsuits that are up for sale.
- Aegir Boardworks in DUMBO and Pilgrim Surf+Supply of Williamsburg are your go to gear shops if you're looking to purchase your own board or get a ding repaired before heading back to the beach.
by Meenakshi Parashar