Night Hike on the Staten Island Greenbelt
Can't wait until the weekend to go hiking? Staten Island Greenbelt to the rescue! Beautifully maintained trails away from the noise of the city help you feel far far away from it all. The Greenbelt offers free group hikes at 6PM every Wednesday and trail runs at 7:00PM.
Public transit to start at 700 Rockland Avenue,
- Take the X10/X11 Bus to N. Gannon Ave/ Manor Road
- Take the S54 to Rockland/Brielle (basically in front of the Nature Center)
If you're driving there is parking available at the Nature Center.
- Start your hike on the Nature Center Loop trail (accessible from the right side of the Nature Center).
- Continue on that path for less than a quarter mile until it intersects with the blue trail. Keep following to the right and follow the blue trail (crossing the white) all the way past the Loatourette Golf Course.
- You'll cross one major intersection and then go up a short, steep hill to amazing views
- Continue to follow the blue as it loops around the golf course and back towards the nature center.
- From here - hike back to the Nature Center directly by following the blue until it intersects with white and taking a sharp left
- If you're looking for extra mileage - instead of heading back on white directly, go left on the red to do an extra loop before heading out on the white trail.
Get creative and try different loops - there are so many options that connect back to the Nature Center.